| Previous Entry
|| Next Entry
- Mus. 1705-D-1
- BENEVOLI, Orazio
- Uniform Composer:
- BENEVOLI, Orazio (b Rome 1605–d Rome 1672)
- Title (Catalogo):
- Missa . . . 1 libro
- Location (1765):
- Schranck I; Fach 3; Lage 1
- Scoring (1765):
- ‘a 4 Cori reali’
- Materials (1765):
- Missa In diluvio aquarum multarum
- Thematic Index:
- Uniform Title:
- RISM ID no.:
- Former owner:
- Jan Dismas Zelenka. Inventarium 4/6 (struck out)
- Bound score copy. Badly damaged.
Title page: Missa | In diluvio aquarum multarum | A | Quatro Chor Real . . . (illegible) | (hand of Zelenka) à Zelenka [,] Music: de | S: M: Le Roy de Pologne | Electeur de Saxe. 1719.
Page 1 of the score has 17 staves laid out for four SATB choirs, and bass line (occasional figures).
In 1719 Zelenka might have expected the Dresden Catholic court church would develop an ensemble of choral forces capable of performing a mass for four choirs. The draft foundation document of the Dresden Catholic court church (‘Memoires’, ARSI, Boh. 205/2: ‘Chiesa e Capella reale di Dresda: ‘Memoires [sic] pour L’eglise ou Chappelle Royale’) stated that the young musicians of Dresden’s royal chapel were to be the foundation of a Jesuit seminary (Seminaire)—a plan not realised during Zelenka’s lifetime.
Although the SLB card catalogue states this copy to be in the hand of a Viennese copyist, perhaps Zelenka also knew of a Prague source. The Diarium of the Prague Clementinum College reported that for the Feast of St Francis Xavier in 1709 and 1712, Count Johann Hubert Hartig (Zelenka’s earliest known patron) was responsible for the performance of a mass. On 28.11.1709 the report reads: ‘Illu[stri]mus et Excelle[ntissi]mus Dom. de Hartig Locumtenens probavit in Templo nostro Missam Italicam cum 4 choris producendam in festo S. Fran. Xaverii’. (The Most Illustrious and Excellent de Hartig Locumtenens rehearsed in our church the Italian Mass with four choirs which is to be performed during the Feast of St Francis Xavier).
‘Diarium Clementem’, Královská kanonie premonstrátu na Strahově, ‘Diarium collegii Societatis Jesu ad sanctum Clementem Vetero-Pragae 1699–1714’, fol. 170v.
- Sächs. Landes-Bibl.
- A 30
- V. 1 (1900), 445–6: Benevoli, Orazio [...] Missa in diluvio 16 voc. [...] — Dieselbe Messe von Zelenkas Hd. in dresd. Musikal. Samlg. P. Eitner listed the following Dresden sources of this Mass: • a score of Missa in diluvio in Zelenka’s hand (Dresd. Musikal.-Samlg.) • score and parts of a Mass for 16 voices (Dresden Catholic church)• a score of Missa in diluvio acquarum multarum à 4 chori reali. (Ms. A 30 P: Dresd. Mus.)
- SLB Card Catalogue:
- Benevoli, Orazio: Missa in diluvio acquarum multarum a 4 chori reali [16 st.] [Zelenka’s Hs.: Weiner Kopist (in Reich’s hand)} Part. o. O. 1719. 4o. Mus.-Mscr. Poss. Vermerk. auf vors.: à Zelenka, Music. de S: M: Le Roy de Pologne Electeur de Saxe. 1719.
- Score copy (damaged) of Missa In diluvio aquarum multarum by Benevoli (Mus. 1705-D-1) held by SLUB.
| Previous Entry
|| Next Entry